Haggardstown school was originally located in the Old Masshouse on the Mullaharlin Road after St. Fursey’s Church was built. The school opened in 1840 and comprised of 2 small classrooms. The school became known as Mullaharlin National School.
The school moved to its current location on the Marlbog Road in 1940. It was named St. Fursey’s N.S. as he is a saint associated with the parish. It is believed that St. Fursey set up a monastery in the parish. This school was far more modern than that on the Mullaharlin Road. It also had 2 classrooms. As the school continued to grow and develop there was a need to house pupils in 2 classrooms in prefabs in the late 1970s and early 1980s.
The extension to St. Fursey’s National School was officially opened by Minister Mary O’ Rourke in 1987. The extension housed 6 new classrooms. The school has remained much the same in terms of size and numbers over the last 20 years.
St. Fursey’s N.S. has once again continued to expand and grow. In 2018 an Autism Classroom was also opened in the school. It is called Féileacán. It is being run by Deputy Principal Mary Brennan and is proving to be a huge success.